President Said Abdullahi Deni of Puntland has appointed a seven-member committee to negotiate Puntland’s electoral affairs.
The regional state president stated that discussions with his vice president, the speaker of the house of representatives, and certain political parties led to the committee’s appointment in a statement that was made public on Monday night.
Talks with Deni have previously been turned down by the opposition. The opposition contends that President Deni’s emphasis on staging an early-2019, one-person, one vote election is a ploy by the administration to prolong its tenure.
The committee members are powerful figures in President Deni’s political agenda; they were chosen from the cabinet. The following people make up the committee:
- Chairman Abdi Farah Said Juha
- Naima Abdirahman and Ibrahim Artan Haji Bakin are members.
- Member Abdullahi Mohamed Hassan
- Dhabancad, Mohamed Abdirahman (Member)
- Hassan Caballa Hassan (Member) Hassan Yusuf Majabe (Member)
- The opposing party is anticipated to react to the appointment to the committee.