Somali attorney general Dr. Ahmed Ali Dahir is in Hague, Holland, to file case against Kenya over disputed maritime border to the International Court of Justice (ICJ).
The attorney accompanied by experts and international lawyers representing Somalia are expected to submit their case to The Hague based court on Monday.
Federal government of Somalia has dismissed out of court settlement with Kenya over 1420000 Kilometer square disputed Indian Ocean maritime border that has strained the diplomatic relationship between the two neighboring state.
According to reports the case will be presided over by 15 judges and the final results is expected as earlier as 2017.
The parties in the case cannot appeal and the ruling of the court is the final decision.
Last year the International Court of Justice ruled on Chile and Peru dispute over their maritime border and the associated fishing rights, Peru first brought its suit for 38000 square kilometer of increased nautical territory to ICJ in 2008.
The court later awarded Peru 21,000 square kilometer of the disputed 38000 Square kilometer in the disputed territory.
List of ICJ contentious cases for the past ten years
- Maritime Delimitation in the Indian Ocean (Somalia Kenya)
- Obligations concerning Negotiations relating to Cessation of the Nuclear Arms Race and to Nuclear Disarmament (Marshall IslandsUnited Kingdom)
- Obligations concerning Negotiations relating to Cessation of the Nuclear Arms Race and to Nuclear Disarmament (Marshall IslandsPakistan)
- Obligations concerning Negotiations relating to Cessation of the Nuclear Arms Race and to Nuclear Disarmament (Marshall Islands India)
- Maritime Delimitation in the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean (Costa Rica Nicaragua)
- Questions relating to the Seizure and Detention of Certain Documents and Data (Timor-Leste Australia)
- Alleged Violations of Sovereign Rights and Maritime Spaces in the Caribbean Sea (Nicaragua Colombia)
- Question of the Delimitation of the Continental Shelf between Nicaragua and Colombia beyond 200 nautical miles from the Nicaraguan Coast (Nicaragua Colombia)
- Obligation to Negotiate Access to the Pacific Ocean (Bolivia Chile)
- Construction of a Road in Costa Rica along the San Juan River (Nicaragua Costa Rica)
- Request for Interpretation of the Judgment of 15 June 1962 in the Case concerning the Temple of Preah Vihear (Cambodia v. Thailand) (Cambodia Thailand)
- Certain Activities carried out by Nicaragua in the Border Area (Costa Rica Nicaragua)
- Frontier Dispute (Burkina Faso/Niger)
- Whaling in the Antarctic (Australia Japan: New Zealand intervening)
- Judgment No.2867 of the Administrative Tribunal of the International Labour Organization upon a Complaint Filed against the International Fund for Agricultural Development (Request for Advisory Opinion)
- Jurisdiction and Enforcement of Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters (Belgium Switzerland)
- Certain Questions concerning Diplomatic Relations (Honduras Brazil)
- Questions relating to the Obligation to Prosecute or Extradite (Belgium Senegal)
- Jurisdictional Immunities of the State (Germany Italy: Greece intervening)
- Application of the Interim Accord of 13 September 1995 (the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Greece)
- Application of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (Georgia Russian Federation)
Request for Interpretation of the Judgment of 31 March 2004 in the Case concerning Avena and Other Mexican Nationals (Mexico v.United States of America) (Mexico v. United States of America)
- Aerial Herbicide Spraying (Ecuador Colombia)
- Maritime Dispute (Peru Chile)
- Accordance with international law of the unilateral declaration of independence in respect of Kosovo (Request for Advisory Opinion)
- Certain Questions of Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters (Djibouti France)
Pulp Mills on the River Uruguay (Argentina v. Uruguay)
- Status vis-à-vis the Host State of a Diplomatic Envoy to the United Nations (Commonwealth of Dominica Switzerland)
- Dispute regarding Navigational and Related Rights (Costa Rica Nicaragua)
- Maritime Delimitation in the Black Sea (Romania Ukraine)