Somali Independent Media House Association (SIMHA)
Mogadishu – Somalia
Job title: Finance and Administration Officer – Media Project
Responsible to: Project Manager
Responsible for: Administration of financial and office management services
Overall purpose: to provide the project management and delivery team with the support services needed for the efficient administration
SIMHA is a consortium of more than 25 media houses which serves to create a more informed public and expanding the perspectives of these media houses by strengthening the civic and cultural life of communities we serve. We are a local watch dog that advocates for the rights of journalists in the lawless country. SIMHA is an umbrella network of independent media houses in Mogadishu.
The SIMHA’s vision is: To create, with its members, the leading forum for the exchange of knowledge to support Public Service Broadcasting and the principles of free and independent media in Somalia.
The SIMHA’s mission is: To work in partnership with member stations to create a more informed public and expanding the perspectives of our media houses by assisting them in strengthening the civic and cultural life of communities they serve.
SIMHA is hereby provided with funds by International Media Support (IMS) for implementing the project “Strengthening the institutional capacity of SIMHA and raise risk awareness among SIMHA memberships” as described in the project proposal and budget finalized 01.11.15 and memorandum of understanding mutually signed on 19.11.15.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Finance and Administration Officer has responsibility working with the Project Manager for efficient office administration and support together with maintaining thorough financial records of the project.
- Processing of all project financial payments and project book-keeping in line with the SIMHA’s internal procedures.
- Ensuring all project records are stored in a sensible and logical manner, and kept up-to date, providing a suitable audit trail over the life of the project.
- Providing financial reports to the Project Manager and other bodies as required.
- Liaising with the Project Manager over booking and movements of equipment, and administering the asset register and booking forms
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly and project-end closure of accounts, including bank reconciliation, and submit reports to management as per prescribed deadlines.
- Undertake professional learning and development appropriate to the satisfactory delivery of all these duties, as agreed with the Project Manager.
- Manage the day-to-day personnel, financial and administrative resources of the office.
- Undertake missions to field locations to review administrative and financial arrangements and make appropriate recommendations as required.
- Regular liaison with the team to ensure effective communications and the smooth running of the Media project.
- Active participation in regular staff team and 1:1 individual meetings; sharing of best practice, learning experiences, ideas and expertise within the team.
- Oversee recruitment, appointments and administrative formalities concerning local General Service staff and support the recruitment process of internal staff.
- Coordinate training and capacity-building activities to staff in administrative related areas.
- Do travel arrangements for project staff and SIMHA members.
Minimum qualifications and professional experience required:
- Nationality: Somali
- Education: University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Public or Business Administration, or related field OR university degree in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or finance.
- Job experience: Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience.
- Languages: Excellent knowledge of English.
Interested candidates who met the above criteria should send updated applications letter (motivate your interest to get this position and submit applications in English), CV and at least two professional references with contacts to email@example.com not later than 11:00AM of Sunday 23-December-2015
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. An identification ID will be needed for examinations. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. SIMHA members are also encouraged to allow their volunteers to apply for this position.
SIMHA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER