Somali Military Infantry Commander says Operations in Hiraan targeting al-Shabab a big success
Somalia on Wednesday declared Operation ‘Waagberi II’ in parts of central and southern Somalia a success despite the persistent threats posed by Al-Shabaab and other militant groups during the operation.
The Somali National Army’s (SNA) infantry forces commander Brigadier General Mohamed Tahlil Bihi said Somali Security Forces have killed 127 insurgents who posed a threat to the peace and national security of the country during the operation.
Mr. Bihi declared the operation over, with Somali Security Forces now eyeing to flush out militants fighting for al-Shabaab in Galmudug.
“I want to tell the Somali people that the period of the terrorists is over. We will not relent, we will be following them to their hideouts and where they have seeked refuge. They will be liberated from all areas,” said Mohamed Tahlil Bihi.
“If the government, the Somali Army, the local People and the Governor of this region are on one side, there are no chances for them to escape. We are more powerful than them,” added Mr. Bihi.
The commander said Somali soldiers had carried themselves in a professional and disciplined manner in the offensive operations they have been involved in.
He noted that the forces currently in Hiraan were doing a good job adding that a large portion of areas had been freed from the grip of Al-Shabaab.
Security Forces have opened main supply routes connecting key towns including Bula-Burde and Beledweyne which had been disconnected by road for many years by the militants.
El-Lahele, Nur Fanax, Beer Hane, Bardhere, Booco, and Garasyani are among many areas where security operations are underway.
Since the beginning of the operation dubbed “Waagberi II”, the Somali National Army with support of locals managed to capture more than 30 areas and killed over 200 militants in large-scale operations across the country, according to government sources.