Turkey condemns Al-Shabaab raid at military base
Ankara strongly condemned a “heinous” terror attack targeting military bases in the Lower Shabelle region on Saturday.
”We are saddened to receive the news that many soldiers and civilians lost their lives in Somalia today (3rd April) in the terrorist attacks targeting the Somali National Army troops and innocent civilians,” the statement read in part.
”We strongly condemn these heinous terrorist attacks and offer our sincere condolences to the friendly and brotherly Government and people of Somalia. We wish Allah’s mercy upon those who lost their lives in the attacks and speedy recovery to the wounded,”
The Somali military said it killed 76 Al-Shabaab fighters in the Lower Shabelle region following fierce fighting with Al-Shabaab on Saturday.
Mohamed Tahaliil Brigadier General of Somali military said 10 captured Al-Shabaab fighters were captured during the attacks on Barire and Awdegle forward operating bases
The bases, located 100km (60 miles) southwest of the capital Mogadishu, were struck by two explosions, witnesses said. A third explosion targeted a convoy of troops rushing to the bases from the capital after the attack.
Speaking to the local media, Gen. Odawa Yusuf Ragheh, the commander of the Somali National Army, confirmed the twin attacks but said al-Shabab had been repulsed with “heavy losses” among the extremists.
“They even left some of the bodies of their slain commanders,” he added, saying his forces were still chasing fleeing fighters.